Yes! You absolutely can make animated videos yourself. There are many software packages like PowToon, Animoto, Vyond, to name a few, that you can use to make your own. Animated video software packages tend to be marketed with messages like “Create videos quickly and easily”.
However, in my opinion, it’s not as simple to make your own animated videos. Like any software, it will take you time to:
- Learn how to use the animation video software
- Familiarise yourself with the software’s library of graphics, templates and music tracks
So that “ease and speed” of making your animated video is not immediate. It can be a steep learning curve.
I recommend asking yourself the following questions to help you decide whether you should make animated videos yourself:
- Have you created videos before?
- Do you new learn software quickly?
- Have you really got the time to learn the video software?
- Do you actually want to learn the software or do just want to get high quality animated videos created quickly?
- Is it worth investing that time learning the software when you may only need a few videos creating for your business?
- Do you have experience of writing video scripts? It’s a very different style of writing to writing for the screen or print.
It’s also important to know that producing animated videos is only one part of the process. You still need to complete other tasks which the animated video software will not do for you. For example:
- Script planning and writing
- Finding and paying for a professional voiceover artist to record your script
- What about when you can’t find the right image in the video software’s library? It can happen and has happened to me. In this case, you’ll have to trawl through another image library to find a suitable image. Or, find a designer to create a new graphic for you.
Taking all this into account, the question IS NOT:
Can I make animated videos myself?.
The question IS:
Should I make animated videos myself?
If you’re serious about using animated videos in your business, then I strongly advise using a professional video production company. And you should definitely NOT be making your animated video if you answered “No” to any of the above 6 questions.
A DIY job could result in poor quality and frankly – a crap video!
We work closely with all our clients and take them through every step of the video production process. We do all the hard work for them which includes:
- Writing and refining the video script
- Creating a storyboard
- Recording the voiceover using a professional voiceover actor
- Producing the whole video
Clients are involved at key review stages so input into the video process. It’s through this process that we have received feedback like this from our clients:
My first impression is that I love it!! I think it looks great and I love the way the videos work. Everyone is very impressed.
Managing Director, Training Company
Are you planning to use animated videos for your business? Get in touch to let us know what you’re planning – we’d love to hear from you and may be able to help.